June 29, 2007

Pocket Book Review # 3

No One Belongs Here More Than You, by Miranda July



It would be a disservice to say the stories in Miranda July's collection are propelled by a quirky voice. They are propelled by a voice that is captivating, funny, wise, and honest. What July has figured out is that a voice can sound strange but also be a delight, that it can be slightly alienated and confused but also have the timing of nightclub stand-up.

Here is the narrator of "Majesty" explaining her job as an earthquake safety counselor:

"There's a school in the neighborhood, Buckman Elementary, and every year they invite the firemen in to explain how to Stop, Drop, and Roll, and later in the day I come in and talk about earthquake safety. Sadly, there is very little you can do. You can stop, you can drop, you can jump in the air and flap your arms, but if it's the Big One, you're better off just praying. Last year a little boy asked what made me the expert, and I was honest with him. I told him I was more afraid of earthquakes than any person I know. You have to be honest with children."

No comments: